Dublin Garden Club
Dublin’s First Garden Club, Established 1939
Member of Garden Club of Georgia since March 1940
We meet the Second Tuesday of each month September through May, at 4:00 pm, at the Oconee Regional Library, 801 Bellevue Ave, Dublin, Georgia 31021
|Our club is proud to be a member of:
National Council of State Garden Clubs, Inc.
Deep South Region
The Garden Club of Georgia, Inc.
Camellia District IV
Dublin Federated Garden Club Council
|CLUB COLORS: Green and White
CLUB TREE: Magnolia
CLUB BIRD: Cardinal
STATE FLOWER: Cherokee Rose
STATE BIRD: Brown Thrasher
“A garden is ever the gift and benediction of God”
Our Father, who didst first reveal Thyself in a garden, touch our eyes that we may see Thee in power, wonder, majesty, and glory in every growing plant. Attune our ears to Thy whisperings among the trees. May Thy Holy Spirit prune, purify, and nurture our souls that fragrant deeds shall blossom in our lives and beautify the world. And grant that we may walk with Thee through Eternity in that promised Garden of God.
By: Mrs. Frank Burney
Adopted January, 1959, Garden Club of Georgia, Inc.
2015 – 2017 Officers:
President – Mary Jane Spivey
Vice President – Kay Donaldson
Recording/Corresponding Secretary – Marion Crombie
Treasurer - Rose Rhodes
Parliamentarian – Jeanette Fulford
Civic Chair – Margie Adams
Flower Show Chair – Mary Jane Spivey
Laurens County Court House, since 1939
Bud Barron Airport
The Lighthouse Adult Care Therapy Garden
Riverview Golf Course
Joint with Dublin Federated Garden Club Council
and the Keep Dublin Laurens Beautiful organizations
The Roadside Garden at Shamrock Drive and Hillcrest Blvd
The Highway Beautification Project at Hwy 80 and Ed Gannaway/Airport Road
Club Activities and Projects
Garden Therapy Committee
Members work with area retirement homes by providing programs. At Christmas they prepare stockings for patients of Georgia’s Central State Hospital.
Civic and Historical Sites Committee
Members promote the planting of Dogwood trees and cooperate with the Dublin Federated Garden Council and the Tree Board on the planting of trees on historic sites.
Members encourage youth to participate in gardening. They also conduct Arbor Day ceremonies at a local school and sponsor two youth garden clubs.
Flower Show Committee
Members will cooperate with the Dublin Federated Garden Council in planning and preparation for the Flower Shows and/or any other projects.
Anti-Litter and Beautification Committee
Cleans up litter in a specific area before the annual St. Patrick’s Leprechaun Roadrace, Dublin, Georgia.
Dublin Federated Garden Council Projects
Members assist the Dublin Clean Community Association with projects and activities and providing table arrangements for the St. Patrick’s Civic Luncheon.
Christmas Tour of Homes
Proceeds from the Christmas Tour of Homes will be used for civic landscape projects and other club projects.
History of the Dublin Garden Club
Under the supervision of Grady Wright, the Dublin Garden Club was organized on February 17, 1939.
Those attending the organization were: Mesdames C. U. Smith, Carl Nelson, Earl Hansford, J. K. Griffin, W. H. Shuman, George Walker, Robert West, Bryant Carroll, R. G. Lee, W. H. Adams, D. Z. Lindsey, R. C. Garrard, T. H. Green, Moffett Kendrick, M. G. Combs, A. C. Scarboro, J. A. Middleton, J. R. Broadhurst, C. A. Hodges, Manley Smith.
Officers elected at this meeting were: President Mrs. Carl K. Nelson, Vice-President Mrs. M. G. Combs, Recording Secretary Mrs. Moffett Kendrick, Corresponding Secretary Mrs. R. C. Garrard, Treasurer Mrs. D. Z. Lindsey.
With a membership of seventy-seven (77), the Dublin Garden Club became a member of the Garden Club of Georgia in March 1940.
The first Garden Club Floor Show was held on November 9, 1939, in the Women’s Club House. Mrs. Reynolds Flournoy of Columbus, State Garden Club of Georgia President, was the guest of the club and speaker at the evening meeting. A Spring Flower Show was held on May 3, 1940 in the Hargrove Gymnasium.
Interest in horticulture, flower arrangement, and general attractiveness of home surroundings has grown through the influence of the Garden Club, which has been active along civic lines. Shrubs have been donated for the courthouse lawn and efforts made to protect trees in the city.
A Christmas Lighting Contest was sponsored by the club in 1939 and again in 1940. Plans were made to beautify various plots in the city. Members feel that the organization can render a real service by encouraging a greater appreciation of beauty.
|Mrs. Carl Nelson,Sr||1939-41||Mrs. H.P. Spivey||1985-87|
|Mrs. H.S. Whitehurst||1941-43||Mrs. Robert Garrard, Jr||1987-89|
|Mrs. W.M. Kendrick||1943-45||Mrs. L. Bob Shuler||1989-91|
|Mrs. H.L. Cordell||1947-49||Mrs. Hubert Fulford||1991-93|
|Mrs. Guy Cochran||1949-51||Mrs. Marcy Chambless||1993-95|
|Mrs. M.H. Hogan||1951-53||Mrs. Billy Bracewell||1995-97|
|Mrs. Milo Smith||1953-55||Mrs. Tim Herrington||1997-99|
|Mrs. Jerry Duggan||1955-57||Mrs. H. P. Spivey||1999-01|
|Mrs. M.G. Combs||1957-59||Mrs. Marcy Chambless||2001-03|
|Mrs. M.Z. Claxton||1959-62||Mrs. H. P. Spivey||2003-05|
|Mrs. Beeman C. Keen||1962-64||Miss Bettie Sue Criswell||2005-07|
|Mrs. Carl Nelson, Sr||1964-66||Mrs. High Lentile||2007-09|
|Mrs. Hansley Horne||1966-68||Mrs. H. P. Spivey||2009-11|
|Ms. Helen Jones||1968-70||Mrs. Marcy Chambless||2011-12|
|Mrs. M. Z. Claxton, Sr||1970-72|
|Mrs. H.S. Whitehurst||1972-75|
|Mrs. Steve Mercer||1975-77|
|Mrs. W.H. Champion||1977-79|
|Mrs. Carl Nelson, Sr||1979-81|
|Mrs. L. Bob Shuler||1981-85|